Please help support us!

This video is age restricted for viewers under +18

Create an account or login to confirm your age.

Up next

Port Arthur Massacre Police Tape Footage: Part One

Published on 13 Jun 2021 / In Interesting

⁣This is part one; part two can be found here: ⁣

⁣The Port Arthur Massacre: The Backstory.

The Port Arthur Massacre was mass shooting in and around Port Arthur, Tasmania, Australia, on April 28–29, 1996, that left 35 people dead and some 18 wounded; the gunman, Martin Bryant, was later sentenced to 35 life terms. It was the country’s worst mass murder, and it led to stricter gun controls, notably a near ban on all fully automatic or semiautomatic firearms. At the time of the attacks, Bryant was 28 years old and living in New Town, a suburb of Hobart. He was intellectually disabled, with a history of erratic behavior. He left school early and later received a disability pension following a psychiatric evaluation. In 1987 he began working as a handyman for Helen Harvey, a lottery heiress, and the two became close friends. In 1992 she died in a car accident that left Bryant severely injured. Some speculated that he caused the crash, since he was known to grab the wheel while Harvey was driving. However, he denied any wrongdoing. As the sole inheritor of Harvey’s estate, Bryant became wealthy. After his father committed suicide in 1993, Bryant traveled extensively and allegedly began to stockpile guns.

On April 28, 1996, Bryant drove to the Seascape Cottage (also called Seascape Guesthouse), a nearby inn that his father had once tried to purchase. Police believe that it was at this point that Bryant killed the owners. He then drove to the historic site of Port Arthur, a former penal colony that had been transformed into a popular tourist destination. After eating at a café, he pulled a semiautomatic rifle out of a duffel bag and began shooting. Within approximately two minutes, 20 people were dead. He continued his killing spree as he escaped in his car. He later stole another vehicle after killing its occupants at a toll booth, and he stopped at a gas station, where he fatally shot a woman and took a hostage. Bryant then returned to the Seascape Cottage. Once police arrived, they surrounded the inn and tried unsuccessfully to negotiate with Bryant, who shot at them. On the morning of April 29 he set the building on fire and was apprehended when he fled. Investigators later found three bodies inside.

Even before Bryant’s capture, talk had begun about tightening Australia’s gun laws. Less than a month after the massacre, federal and state legislators—led by Prime Minister John Howard—crafted the National Firearms Agreement. It created extensive licensing and registration procedures, which included a 28-day waiting period for gun sales. In addition, it banned all fully automatic or semiautomatic weapons, except when potential buyers could provide a valid reason—which did not include self-defense—for owning such a firearm. The federal government also instituted a gun-buyback program, which resulted in the surrender of some 700,000 firearms. Although gun-related deaths dropped dramatically, the new rules were sharply criticized by gun-rights advocates.

Bryant, who never provided a reason for the massacre, pled guilty in 1996. He received 35 life terms as well as various other sentences for additional charges.

Show more
1 Comments sort Sort By

frogsgottalent 1 month ago

This is aMossad operation. # O p Save G a z a (noGaps), locate the hackedMEGAfiles with over30k OPERATIONALmoss adNames addressesEmail phonenumbers WORLDWIDE. Original source closed but info still available for those who look.

   0    0
Show more

Up next